I am usually not a TV person, but lately I’m obsessed with the Great British Bake Off. I don’t know why it took me so long to finally watch it because EVERY BAKER should watch it! I’m fascinated by how creative the bakers can get and how amazing their flavor combinations sound like. Like Paul in the show, I do believe some flavors are just perfect matches to each other. For example, Orange and Cardamom.
If you have not read my Korvapuusti post, do that first. So now you know I’m dangerously addicted to cardamom. Cardamom is not a familiar spice to me before I’m hooked on Korvapuusti. Unlike cinnamon, who is like a sweetheart and can go along with anyone, cardamom has quite a strong characteristic. She is spicy, but can also be sweet if pairing with the right person. Orange is definitely a solid candidate for being her Mr. Right. It’s hard to imagine how the sweet, citrusy and fragrant orange can pair so well with the warm, intensely aromatic and spicy cardamom. They are just meant to be together.
Back to the perfect flavor matches, another of my favorite is Orange & Yogurt. I remembered when I was young, a local dairy brand introduced orange flavored yogurt in Shanghai and I always asked my mom to buy that for me. However, not long after that there’s a study saying orange and yogurt should not go together as they create something harmful to the human body. I am really not sure if that’s true thinking about it today, but sadly, the dairy brand stopped making orange yogurt. I was very upset.
Luckily, now I’m a grown-up (or am I? ) so I can make whatever I want to eat possible. I combined all my favorite flavor combinations together and create this Orange Cardamom Yogurt Loaf Cake. My life is fulfilled. It tastes even better on the second day or third day after refrigeration. It’s good on its own, but it’s next level delicious if you top with plain yogurt and fresh fruits. The tartness from the yogurt, the sweetness from the fruit and the moisture from the cake. Every bite tastes like heaven.
Give my Orange Cardamom Yogurt Loaf Cake a try! If you like:
Not too sweet,
Perfectly balanced flavor,
Easy & one bowl recipe!
Share this post and tag #herbakinglab on Instagram if you make this Orange Cardamom Yogurt Loaf Cake! It’s definitely going to a picnic with me and enjoying the summer in Seattle Until next time, keep cool and bake on!
Orange Cardamom Yogurt Loaf Cake
1. 1 cup All-purpose flour
2. ½ cup almond flour
3. 2 teaspoons baking powder
4. 2 teaspoons cinnamon
5. 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
6. 1 teaspoon kosher salt
7. ½ cup cane sugar
8. 1 tablespoon orange zest (from one orange)
9. ¾ cup plain whole milk yogurt (plus more for serving!)
10. ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
11. 2 large eggs
12. 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F and spray or grease a loaf pan.
2. In a large bowl, combine all the dry ingredients together .
3. In another large bowl, whisk together the cane sugar and orange zest. Add the yogurt, olive oil, eggs and vanilla, and whisk to combine.
4. Pour the dry ingredients into the bowl with the wet ingredients and stir until just combined. Don’t overmix.
5. Pour the batter into a loaf pan and bake 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
6. Let cool completely to room temperature before slicing. Serve with plain yogurt on top and fresh fruit.
OBSERVATIONS & Notes:
3. Try not sub olive oil. Orange and olive oil is a perfect flavor combination, too!