The purpose of Her Cookbook Club is to create a little community here to share our thoughts on the cookbooks we have read, tried, loved or maybe not so much. Of course you don’t have to own or read the cookbook we’re talking about. You’re more than welcome to use my review or our discussion to help you decide if that’s the right cookbook for you.
I actually do not like the word “review”. I know every author has put a tremendous amount of time and energy to create his/her books. By no means we have the power to judge their work. I am here only because I am passionate about cookbooks. I want to share all of my thoughts so they may help someone else to decide.
The cookbooks I choose are either books I already owned and loved or new books that look exciting. The category will widely range from baking, desserts, vegetarian, vegan to ethnic cooking. You know, bakers still have to eat. If you have any recommendations, please leave in the comments! I’d love to try your favorites:)
My “review” will be based on the following points:
- Accessibility – Do the recipes require many non-pantry-staple-ingredients? Are the instructions easy to follow?
- Design – Is the book well-organized? Are the photos appealing? How thoughtfulness is the author when she/he designed the book?
- Writing – How well is the author telling his/her story? Is it enjoyable just to read the words? Will I read from cover to cover?
- Taste – I will test at least 5 recipes from the cookbook before giving my opinion. Obviously everyone’s taste is different, and I’ll try to be as fair as possible. The point is not to be a Michelin Star inspector and find a crowd love, but to find a cookbook/an author that shares the same taste as you do.
- Usefulness – How often will I actually use this cookbook? Are there any recipes, techniques or ideas I will go back for?
- Highlights – What makes this book special? What are the pros & cons?
- Recommend? – How likely will I recommend this cookbook? Who will I recommend it to and why?
Like I said, I will test at least 5 recipes from the cookbook I think are interesting and give my honest opinion. It’s also a great motivation for me to ACTUALLY make the recipes (instead of reading the cookbooks like novels, and I did that way too often).
I think that’s all I want to say! I am sooooooooooo excited and cannot wait to start. I know HerBakingLab is still new and there aren’t many people reading it yet, but I believe one day we’ll build a great community to share our love for cookbooks! Our first Her Cookbook Club selection is The Love & Lemons Cookbook by Jeanine Donofrio and it will be out on the blog very soon!
I’m so looking forward to it! Thanks for opening up this cozy sanctuary for foodies like me:) Love reading your words, cute, sincere and most importantly full of fun!
Thank YOU, Cheri! Stay tuned for our first post:)